We are thrilled to announce that we have a FULL program for the summer! If you are interested in getting on the waitlist, please email Brittany at email@example.com.
What is your creative genius?
The Emerging Young Creatives program is for young high school aged women+ who want to craft their creative dreams into reality!
From July 5-August 11, 2022, at Make-It Springfield in downtown Springfield, eight young women+ will expand their creative skills, and be part of a strong and supportive community, while receiving instruction from professionals in a variety of mediums such as photography, jewelry making and business design. This unique program provides space, time and inspiration, in a safe and welcoming environment, so that participants can focus on deepening their connections and creativity while learning from predominantly BIPOC women+ mentors.
Each day, the young women+ will have the opportunity to dive into the medium of their choice and eventually plan and design a Creativity Showcase together—an exhibit and sale to showcase their creations at the end of the program.
What will you do?
- Learn personal practices to develop and build your creativity
- Develop a strong community and learn to support and nurture creativity in each other
- Take part in small group workshops from professionals in photography, jewelry making and business design.
- Go on field trips to places that help to fuel your creativity, such as natural areas.
- Meet and learn from successful and prominent BIPOC women+ creators about the work they do.
- Plan for and carry out the end of program Creativity Showcase
Who is this for?
- Young high school aged women+. While high school usually means 14-18, we are also open to 13 year olds who are enthusiastic, dedicated and ready to create!
- Dedicated young women+ who are looking for a unique, fun, immersive and creative experience this summer and who are ready to participate fully, show up on time, and learn.
- We are encouraging Black, Indigenous, People of Color young women+ and allies to apply.
- Lives in Springfield or the surrounding area and is able to travel to our downtown location daily.
- Able to attend the entire program, July 5-August 11, 2022 (details below)
- Fully vaccinated (two vaccinations + booster) no later than two weeks before the start of the program.
How do you apply?
- Complete an online application.
- Be invited for and complete an interview.
- You will be notified of acceptance within a week of your interview.
- If you are under 18, obtain a signed permission from a parent or guardian if you are accepted into the program.
What are the exact dates and times?
- July 5 to August 11
- 9am-3pm Monday through Thursday
- The first week (July 5-7) is Tuesday through Friday to accommodate the July 4th holiday.
COVID-19 Statement: The health and safety of everyone in Make-It Springfield programming is our top priority, especially related to the COVID-19 pandemic. We regularly monitor the COVID-19 crisis and the suggestions of the CDC and the MA Department of Health. In the case that mandates and best safety practices change, our program safety guidelines may change so that we can continue offering the highest quality programming.
We are requiring full vaccination (two vaccinations + booster) from all youth participants, staff and mentors, including proof of vaccination. Please contact us if there are extenuating medical circumstances that don’t allow you to be vaccinated. Safety is our number one priority and all of our programming will happen in accordance with the CDC and the Mass Department of Health. Participants who are unable to receive the vaccine due to medical exceptions are exempt from this requirement.
Photo: M & D Creations LLC at Make-it Springfield Maker’s Market, 2021